This is a Post in Progress. I’ll update whenever I learn more.
Learnings from a Ubuntu user that wants a fanless solution and beautiful screen.
Why did I want this?
- Fanless is just so nice
- Meet, Zoom, … all these are killing my Ubuntu machines when sharing screens and doing fancy stuff
- My desktop machine (an Intel NUC) has come of age and needed a replacement/upgrade.
Before the negatives, there are some things which are great.
- The keyboard is nice (no magic toolbar)
- Many things are rather fast
- Physical headphone jack
- Amazing sleep/start up
- Amazing battery
- Speakers are really good, not like on the Pro but still really likeable and almost too good to provide “background noise/radio” while working.
- Rosetta seems to work rather well (but really solves one problem by creating another, see Python below)
(Yes, “Amazing” is not an absolute, but a very subjective opinion.)
Yes it’s true - Apple Ships Python 2.7.16 as the interpreter, although that was sunset over a year ago!
- Want Python3 as main interpreter?
- Want to only have ARM wheels?
DON’T! It’s a mess. You soo easily end up with some wheels from your interpreter running “as” x86, and some “as” arm. Jikes.
No USB-A port
The USB-A universe is just so ubiquituiuos and prevalent … Lots of new prefererals needs to be bought. The two USB-C ports
Window Management, Workspace management
Yes this a pain. Rectangleapp.com helps for windows, but creating workspaces is still a pain. The second monitor (anyone that isn’t “primary”) is always fixed.
Moving windows with Meta + click: https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/365860/400142
Resizing windows with Meta + right-click: Not Yet Found.
Sloppy focus: No Good Solution found.
Biggest pain: ARM
Want Homebrew to manage packages for you?